Parents! Your child is at risk of the dreaded summer learning loss! But do not fear, game based learning through Skoolbo can help combat this problem. Your child can stay on top of their learning so they don’t fall behind, and they can achieve this in a fun and free way.
Summer learning loss is a real problem facing students over the summer break and we’re not just saying that because it made it into Wikipedia. A common finding across numerous studies is that on average, students score lower on standardised tests at the end of the summer than they do at the beginning of summer – on the same test.
Here’s a quick look at the facts…
- Children learn best when instruction is continuous. The long summer holiday breaks the rhythm of instruction which leads to forgetting, and requires a significant amount of review of material when students return to school.
- Most students lose about two months of grade-level equivalency in mathematical computation skills over the summer months.
- Reading and spelling abilities are also affected. The few months of loss in reading skills compounds over the years; by the time children reach middle school, those who haven’t read during the summers may have lost as much as two years worth of achievement!
Parents consistently point out that summer is the most difficult time to ensure that their children have productive things to do. And who can blame them? We know that with kids being kids, the last thing they would want to do is hit the books over their long-awaited summer break. So how do you combat this problem? Our answer? Make learning a fun experience for your child; make it like play so they don’t feel like they’re at school during their summer break.
Game based learning with Skoolbo
(and best of all, for FREE)
Skooblo Spiral Learning Algorithm – learn without teacher input
The Skoolbo Spiral Learning Algorithm is designed to give every child the optimal curriculum regardless of his or her actual age. It starts by pre-testing the child in both literacy and numeracy and then continues to reassess after each game. An ideal blend of new content, not yet mastered content, and revision content is served to each child.
Math and reading games – with built-in rewards to make it fun!
Immerse your child in a stunning 3D learning world with literacy and numeracy practice as the game focus, which is supported by the primary curriculum. Skoolbo uses game-based learning to provide an engaging educational environment with rewards, leaderboards, and the chance to fail and try again. The game itself is very much about learning–it is not about playing a game as a reward for learning.
- Competition – Kids compete against other kids on Skoolbo
- Rewards – The reward mechanisms are designed to promote optimal learning patterns
Learn a new language with language dragons – kids can learn French, Mandarin or Spanish
We recently added Language Dragons, a free language learning game, to our ever growing catalogue of games within Skoolblo.This new feature teaches children French, Mandarin, and Spanish, with more languages set to be released in the future. Fly on magnificent dragons through the stunning in-game worlds, and play reading and listening games to improve language skills across a range of topics.
- Develop children’s cultural awareness
- Increase child’s creative and cognitive abilities
- Help ESOL kids improve their English (by making a switch in Settings)
New to Skoolbo? Register your child today and join the Skoolbo movement!